This year’s GAA season has been action packed


Mick Kane

THE GAA season culminated in June with both the Senior, Intermediate and Junior Finals taking place.
The Senior Final took place in Coatbridge on June 11, with the meeting of Dunedin Connollys and Glasgow Gaels. The Edinburgh side would come out winners, 1-05 to 0-07, in rather windy conditions.

It was another successful season for Connollys as the Junior side beat Sands MacSwineys 1-16 to 1-09. Coatbridge-based Sands were in their first final since 2015 and contributed to a great game of football.
The most action packed game also involved Dunedin Connollys.

Dunedin Connollys were looking to make it a hat-trick of title success this season when they faced Glasgow’s Tír Conaill Harps in the Intermediate Final on June 21 at the Clydebank Hub. Connollys started the game with a goal after a minute, this was followed by another on the 13th minute as it looked like the game might start to slip away from Harps. The half-time score was Connollys 2-05 to Harps 0-07. Just as Harps had scored a couple of points, Connollys scored another goal. It was then Harps turn to score a goal on the 48th minute which was then followed once more by Connollys on 52 minute mark.

With 10 minutes to play, Connollys had a commanding six point lead only for Harps to score two goals in the last five minutes of play. The final goal being scored in stoppage time moments in what was practically the last touch of the ball.

Final score was Tír Conaill Harps 3-13 Dunedin Connollys 4-09 in what was a day of great action in which both sides should be commended.

Scotland Girls Under-15s travelled to London to take part in the Feile in what will have been great experience for them.

Dunedin Connollys Ladies recorded a win against Coventry based Roger Casements, in the Northern Intermediate League winning 6-14 to 2-0 in July.

In Hurling, Ceann Creige (above) took part in the All Britain Hurling Shield Group A Northern Section. They had a draw with Yorkshire Emeralds—Ceann Creige 1-9 (12) Yorkshire Emeralds 2-6 (12). They beat Fullen Gaels 3-20 (29) to 4-09 (21) and then lost to Liverpool Wolfe Tones 0-17 to 2-07 (13). Ceann Creige did however progress to the Shield semi-finals.

They were also awarded three points in their league opener as Yorkshire Emerald failed to travel north.